Hot off the press
Add Reply
Sankaranarayanan, Vignesh
2018-01-03 17:11:12 UTC
"India may be looking at upwards of 500,000 of its "skilled" work force returning home..."

To me personally, the guy who wrote this article is kind of corroborating the US admin's view that people coming in aren't as skilled as they're portrayed.
Really? 'Skilled' in quotes?

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/trump-admin-considers-proposal-that-may-send-back-more-than-500000-indian-tech-workers/articleshow/62341416.cms

Am I reading into it too much?

- Vignesh
Mainframe Infrastructure

MARKSANDSPENCER.COM
________________________________
Unless otherwise stated above:
Marks and Spencer plc
Registered Office:
Waterside House
35 North Wharf Road
London
W2 1NW

Registered No. 214436 in England and Wales.

Telephone (020) 7935 4422
Facsimile (020) 7487 2670

www.marksandspencer.com

Farley, Peter x23353
2018-01-03 17:48:44 UTC
There are many stories from across many industries that people on this list and other mainframe lists have told about being forced to train H1B replacements where the replacement was not skilled at all, just cheaper to hire.

It may not be universal but it has occurred and is occurring every day.

I am not a fan of this Washington administration by any means, but there are far too many "bad actor" managers out there who have and will take advantage of H1B to increase their own bonus by reducing employee salary and benefit costs at the expense of American-born tech workers.

Whether this proposal is the right way to solve the problem is certainly a reasonable question.

2018-01-03 17:51:48 UTC
While I have no doubt that a lot of them are unskilled, I see a lot of scare quotes in, e.g., wiki, that have no obvious rationale. If anything, it's the word "onerous" that should have been in scare quotes. Certainly if there really were a shortage of skilled personnel then requiring a minimum salary of $100K would not be onerous.

As to the bill itself, I'd be happier if the president just enforced existing health, labor and safety laws, but I won't hold my breathe.

"India may be looking at upwards of 500,000 of its "skilled" work force returning home..."

To me personally, the guy who wrote this article is kind of corroborating the US admin's view that people coming in aren't as skilled as they're portrayed.
Really? 'Skilled' in quotes?

https://secure-web.cisco.com/1dW43_PbsHe4bcZlLCAay_B1P10yB6TYHvtPEZsgpbHWe1NBcNazONUYtp0LtzR_azHJ4B0JFSxNAJVrUhD3Whjrfle7OtxItxwkXGXWs01lSfXWmPupkUlZelVQkqzuOoTGEb4y4qMafSEnVytkUOi2hF_Tm1smNxEbrGppV0nEzbI2cOK4Ml7l2Jb7KmsdyUPL4gdfRKGg7INYT86feGQLbxDZIDZm5PjLJT4yhwr6EtpqcEkhMBA-E6THa6XGA2_iCQdReEq7aqxWQZSKm0S9dHnol_oBx-jWjPIUngkYidcXD78BKcyY6IYllsjP6cUKxEKeEw44r2FIMSdvZZXTA2YAYo6mF8DkV7TtxFmrEjm23pfsPmsBLwP7fPdlefsAUvTnU1B6J2V5pK7r9itk0sAaOo5N5EkDgHLm69DlaksbM6iyBiBbwoTM3Sn6x/https%3A%2F%2Ftimesofindia.indiatimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Findia-business%2Ftrump-admin-considers-proposal-that-may-send-back-more-than-500000-indian-tech-workers%2Farticleshow%2F62341416.cms

Am I reading into it too much?

- Vignesh
Mainframe Infrastructure

MARKSANDSPENCER.COM
________________________________

http://secure-web.cisco.com/15gvqPpCEuLEoBJQUravXhOfo9pfifxIKX67r7KJG8AqciQmxtydLB9coBME91WqhLd9f16wyEFtFRFN85YcmRZMLiK3AGfNy1lsJdSZPT3BUoE8vGRvNp72Tf1SK5Dn-L3TMCTakmkgmIE3ytUHB_O0IAg-htAHTsFTNngt7xO5eUOnVUN5xpcPqHZIpUX2ZWZuutJbaoUlRsR5-lWofvT88RAx0zq03pSag7ICOn6ExH5pUe1nTy6vcHTyMd5N03-uE5qmWx-ET56XYiKGe3L_qYCYsmivScFOstq9tsjBD0PpVF4FvlWQsJBAu9-2vbLup6e7w5p-Bw7Zae5A1zf44YQp-MAY7Lc5hniG2K99B5pMCzBRYIRvf1gWD-nWSMnSIcgyjz7Km1CNK6yYa0x3YgJjweY_wZyh0-8xjbQLXGc8qPdGH5_hf5t5aCk9s/http%3A%2F%2Fwww.marksandspencer.com

Nightwatch RenBand
2018-01-04 16:54:33 UTC
Back to the beginning. Way back in the late 1970's US corporate bosses
(elites) changed their plans from advancing their business to advancing
their personal wealth. The education classes that corps offered
disappeared as I well remember. Free trade agreements helped the bottom
line, but made no provision for re-training displaced US workers to compete
in a world free market. Corps hired foreign workers for peanuts instead of
educating US workers because it made it look like they were saving money
and thus their bonuses. Now we have a revolution of displaced US workers
on our hands. We have front row seats to another fine mess. Now, can keep
our IRA's and Medicare out of congress's clutches?

Kittell, Christopher J
2018-01-05 13:48:57 UTC
Apparently there are training dollars available through state unemployment insurance (?) if your job is offshored.
Chris

2018-01-05 17:05:35 UTC
There are... (yes I am affected by offshoring however I've been blessed with a job).

Here's my issue with this -why is the US govt paying for this re-education programs and not the people who actually financially benefit by these programs such as the companies offshoring and the offshoring companies themselves? If those 2 groups want to be viewed as credible contributors vs destroyers I would've thought they'd be happen to jump at the chance...

Or am I being an idealist here?????
computer chyck