Regular Expressions with Rexx
Add Reply
Ze'ev Atlas
2017-10-10 21:32:15 UTC
John Gateley and I will be publishing a full Rexx API to Perl Compatible Regular Expression package in z/OS, probably next week.  This release will be complete if somewhat primitive, comparing to the experimental 1st release.  I have noticed that there is not a lot of interest in that subject, which I understand, knowing the Rexx culture.  However many of you do Java, ooRexx and are exposed to regular expressions even in Rexx context.
I would like to get feedback about the whole subject and about the API (I will publish its availability on the same lists) Ze'ev Atlas

2017-10-10 23:13:13 UTC
Post by Ze'ev Atlas
John Gateley and I will be publishing a full Rexx API to Perl Compatible Regular Expression package in z/OS, probably next week.  This release will be complete if somewhat primitive, comparing to the experimental 1st release.  I have noticed that there is not a lot of interest in that subject, which I understand, knowing the Rexx culture.  However many of you do Java, ooRexx and are exposed to regular expressions even in Rexx context.
I would like to get feedback about the whole subject and about the API (I will publish its availability on the same lists) Ze'ev Atlas
ISPF Edit supports regular expressions, now, sort of, with some conspicuous
deficiencies.

Code pages intrude. The metacharacters in regular expressions are interpreted
according to the code page of the attached terminal. Even in a macro. So the
programmer would need to supply an instance of each macro for each supported
terminal code page. Or translate (iconv()?) any regex from a canonical code
page (1047?) to the active code page.

It is not documented which code page is presumed if Edit runs in background, with
no terminal attached.

Java has its own support for code pages.

I hate EBCDIC!

2017-10-11 00:14:23 UTC
It is not documented which code page is presumed if Edit runs in background, with
no terminal attached.
I stand corrected. z/OS 2.3 doc says, "... code page 1047 is used."
Post by Paul Gilmartin
I hate EBCDIC!