WinSCP or FileZilla to z/OS (not OMVS) ?
Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
2017-09-01 18:13:32 UTC
Any thoughts on how to get WinSCP or FileZilla to access z/OS datasets when connected?

All I am able to get is access to the OMVS side of the system.

thx

Lionel B. Dyck
Mainframe Systems Programmer - TRA

2017-09-01 18:31:19 UTC
Post by Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
Any thoughts on how to get WinSCP or FileZilla to access z/OS datasets when connected?
​IBM's ssh/scp cannot access z/OS non-UNIX data sets. Dovetailed
Technologies' can.​

​http://dovetail.com/products/sftp.html​
--
Caution! The OP is an hyperpolysyllabicsesquipedalianist and this email may
cause stress to those with hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia.

Jerry Whitteridge
2017-09-01 21:42:50 UTC
We use Filezilla and can access both Classic and OMVS equally - I'll need to dig a bit for Lionel to check the version and the configuration.

Jerry Whitteridge
Manager Mainframe Systems & Storage
Albertsons - Safeway Inc.
623 869 5523
Corporate Tieline - 85523

If you feel in control
you just aren't going fast enough.

Post by Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
All I am able to get is access to the OMVS side of the system.
thx
--
Caution! The OP is an hyperpolysyllabicsesquipedalianist and this email may cause stress to those with hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia.

Warning: All e-mail sent to this address will be received by the corporate e-mail system, and is subject to archival and review by someone other than the recipient. This e-mail may contain proprietary information and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately.

Rob Schramm
2017-09-01 21:50:55 UTC
Winscp is only really good for SFTP and Unix files. Filezilla, bluezone,
I(something or other), cyberduck

2017-09-01 19:06:17 UTC
Post by Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
Any thoughts on how to get WinSCP or FileZilla to access z/OS datasets when connected?
All I am able to get is access to the OMVS side of the system.
You can use WinSCP to access z/OS datasets. I will post on Monday a sample batch job (in windoze) how to do that.

Roger Bolan
2017-09-01 19:40:51 UTC
I use Filezilla to connect to my z/OS systems both for MVS datasets and
OMVS. I have the same IP address for both site definitions. As far as I
can tell the only difference is on the Advanced Tab in the Site Manager
where the OMVS site definition has a default remote directory of /u/bolan
defined, and the MVS site definition has a blank default remote directory.
--Roger
Allan Staller
2017-09-01 20:12:35 UTC
Coz:SFTP

WWW.DOVETAIL .COM

Free to use $$$ for support

2017-09-01 21:41:28 UTC
Post by Roger Bolan
I use Filezilla to connect to my z/OS systems both for MVS datasets and
OMVS. I have the same IP address for both site definitions. As far as I
can tell the only difference is on the Advanced Tab in the Site Manager
where the OMVS site definition has a default remote directory of /u/bolan
defined, and the MVS site definition has a blank default remote directory.
Does FileZilla support both FTP and sftp? Is it possible, then, that your
success was with Classic FTP and the OP's failure was with sftp?

Does configuring the Co:z server for sftp require admin privilege/
Post by Roger Bolan
Post by Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
Any thoughts on how to get WinSCP or FileZilla to access z/OS datasets
when connected?
All I am able to get is access to the OMVS side of the system.
Life would be a lot simpler if people avoided Classic data sets.

Wayne Bickerdike
2017-09-02 20:59:45 UTC
I use Filezilla.

Thought it was just wrap quotes around the dataset name for z/OS otherwise
it goes to a USS file.

Post by Roger Bolan
Post by Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
Any thoughts on how to get WinSCP or FileZilla to access z/OS datasets
when connected?
All I am able to get is access to the OMVS side of the system.
Life would be a lot simpler if people avoided Classic data sets.
Wayne V. Bickerdike

Roger Bolan
2017-09-03 15:11:38 UTC
Not for me. The Remote Site says 'BOLAN.' for MVS, and /u/bolan for OMVS.
I have two different site definitions in the Filezilla site manager. I
tried swapping on the Remote Site screen and it gets errors if I try to use
an OMVS HFS directory on the site that uses 'BOLAN.' and vice versa. I am
not using SFTP just FTP and passive mode. I also do not use anonymous
logon but have to give a userid and password for both sides. When I do
this from outside my office there are some additional VPN and firewall
logins I need before I can use Filezilla for anything, but I imagine that
is not Lionel's problem because he said he could get to the OMVS side.
2017-09-03 00:15:26 UTC
Post by Wayne Bickerdike
I use Filezilla.
Thought it was just wrap quotes around the dataset name for z/OS otherwise
it goes to a USS file.
FTP, SFTP, or FTPS? Filezilla gives you your choice.

(Which does the OP need?)

2017-09-05 08:51:29 UTC
Post by Elardus Engelbrecht
Post by Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
Any thoughts on how to get WinSCP or FileZilla to access z/OS datasets when connected?
All I am able to get is access to the OMVS side of the system.
You can use WinSCP to access z/OS datasets. I will post on Monday a sample batch job (in windoze) how to do that.
No FileZilla, since I could not use automated transfers in one or other way.

As promised, here is a generated Windows WinSCP script, I use to access a PS or PO dataset's member:

For retrieving three members from two PDS datasets:

"C:\Program Files\WinSCP\WinSCP.com" ^
/ini=nul ^
/command ^
"lcd C:\<folder>" ^
"cd //HLQ1.<whatever>" ^
"get <membername1>" ^
"get <membername2>" ^
"cd //HLQ2.<whatever>" ^
"get <membername3>" ^
"exit"

It is a PITA, but it is working. Transfer OMVS files is a dream. No problemo there!

I still prefer the FTP process from Automation software on z/OS where you can do on large scale mulitple FTP transfers while renaming destination files using wildcards, timestamps, etc. like this:

put 'HLQ.%%YESTERDAY' OUTPUT-%%YESTERDAY.TXT

It is hard to do the same tricks from a windoze machine...

Grab whatever utility you can use and live with that... ;-D

Kirk Wolf
2017-09-05 14:59:20 UTC
Elardus,

I'm reasonably certain from looking at your script that your z/OS server is
running Co:Z SFTP, which is why it works :-)

Also, you could use PuTTY PSFTP to do batch scripting as well (on Windows),
or OpenSSH sftp on z/OS.

Regards,

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies