SMFLIMxx parameter
Add Reply
Adams, Anne , DTI
2017-08-29 15:45:54 UTC
Hey Steve -

Here's how we set up SMFLIMxx

REGION JOBNAME(*) SUBSYS(STC,JES2)
REGIONABOVE(NOLIMIT) REGIONBELOW(NOLIMIT)
SYSRESVBELOW(512K) SYSRESVABOVE(100M)
MEMLIMIT(10P)

If we left SMFPRMxx MEMLIMIT(2G) then the maximum region size remained, 2G. Likewise if we put 4G or 6G that was the maximum. However if we put NOLIMIT, then it appeared to default to 2G. We tried setting REGIONABOVE(4G) in SMFLIMxx and would get and error.
T SMFLIM=00
IEE252I MEMBER SMFLIM00 FOUND IN SYS1.PARMLIB
ASA008I ERROR IN PARMLIB MEMBER=SMFLIM00 ON LINE 3, POSITION 14: 362
VALUE IS NOT VALID - OUT OF RANGE.

What I want to have happen is when we put NOLIMIT, the default is however much memory I have installed. Maybe I don't fully understand how this works.

Anne R. Adams, CISSP
DTI, Systems Engineering
Sr. Mainframe Services Analyst
302.298.3196

2017-08-29 15:56:01 UTC
Hi Anne, tell Everyone I said YO!
all the example I've seen show
REGION JOBNAME(*) SUBSYS(JES*,STC)
REGIONABOVE(NOLIMIT) REGIONBELOW(NOLIMIT)
SYSRESVABOVE(50M) SYSRESVBELOW(512K) looks like the error is pointing to the SYSRESVBELOW posssibly
did you try reversing the order and try again?

Carmen

Adams, Anne , DTI
2017-08-29 16:11:32 UTC
Hey Carmen!
Yep, and things still don't work. However, if I change REGIONABOVE to 2G (or whatever I have in SMFPRMxx) then It works just fine ... except for the fact that the region size is only 2G ... and I want it all.

Carmen Vitullo
2017-08-29 17:00:48 UTC
Hum, I've not tried using SMFLIM yet, now you have me wanting to play around myself, maybe the 2G limit in SMFPRM is a gotya :)
sorry I can't be more help, take care Anne

Chris Hoelscher
2017-08-29 18:01:57 UTC
Greedy aren't you .....

Chris Hoelscher
Technology Architect, Database Infrastructure Services
Technology Solution Services

123 East Main Street
Louisville, KY 40202
Humana.com
(502) 476-2538 or 407-7266

REGIONABOVE(NOLIMIT) REGIONBELOW(NOLIMIT)
SYSRESVABOVE(50M) SYSRESVBELOW(512K) looks like the error is pointing to the SYSRESVBELOW posssibly did you try reversing the order and try again?

Carmen

Do you have the IEF043I joblog message and the SMFLIMxx rules that you could post? Along with whatever messages you get for the refusal to run...

- Steve
Hello Friends,
Has anyone had any success using (or diagnosing failures) when using the SMFLIMxx parameter? We have a few CICS and database regions and one unrepentant job that refuse to run.
Anne R. Adams, CISSP
DTI, Systems Engineering
Sr. Mainframe Services Analyst
302.298.3196

and may contain CONFIDENTIAL material. If you receive this material/information in error,

Humana Inc. and its subsidiaries comply with applicable Federal civil rights laws and
do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability or
sex. Humana Inc. and its subsidiaries do not exclude people or treat them differently
because of race, color, national origin, age, disability or sex.

English: ATTENTION: If you do not speak English, language assistance services, free
of charge, are available to you. Call 1‐877‐320‐1235 (TTY: 711).

Español (Spanish): ATENCIÓN: Si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios
gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1‐877‐320‐1235 (TTY: 711).

繁體中文(Chinese):注意:如果您使用繁體中文,您可以免費獲得語言援助
服務。請致電 1‐877‐320‐1235 (TTY: 711)。

Kreyòl Ayisyen (Haitian Creole): ATANSION: Si w pale Kreyòl Ayisyen, gen sèvis èd
pou lang ki disponib gratis pou ou. Rele 1‐877‐320‐1235 (TTY: 711).

Polski (Polish): UWAGA: Jeżeli mówisz po polsku, możesz skorzystać z bezpłatnej
pomocy językowej. Zadzwoń pod numer 1‐877‐320‐1235 (TTY: 711).

한국어 (Korean): 주의: 한국어를 사용하시는 경우, 언어 지원 서비스를 무료로
이용하실 수 있습니다. 1‐877‐320‐1235 (TTY: 711)번으로 전화해 주십시오.

Carmen Vitullo
2017-08-29 18:09:06 UTC
Hi Anne, I just tested your SMFLIM parms and they were successful on my sandbox 2.2 system with my SMFPRM00 MEMLIMIT(6G)

REGION JOBNAME(*) SUBSYS(STC,JES2)
REGIONABOVE(NOLIMIT) REGIONBELOW(NOLIMIT)
SYSRESVBELOW(512K) SYSRESVABOVE(100M)
MEMLIMIT(10P)

T SMFLIM=00
IEE536I SMFLIM VALUE 00 NOW IN EFFECT

D SMFLIM

SMF LIMIT rules were last set at: 08/29/2017 13.06.57
There are 1 REGION rules active on this system.
0 REGION rules were excluded due to syntax errors.
0 REGION rules were excluded due to SYSNAME filtering.

Adams, Anne , DTI
2017-08-31 12:22:04 UTC
Hey Carmen, but are they really working? Do you really get NOLIMIT above the line? We had problems starting the databases, CICS, and some nameless batch job that is becoming the bane of my existence.

Carmen Vitullo
2017-08-31 12:41:15 UTC
Hi Anne, looking at some batch job I ran yesterday.

EF373I STEP/GO /START 2017242.0834
EF032I STEP/GO /STOP 2017242.0834
CPU: 0 HR 00 MIN 01.09 SEC SRB: 0 HR 00 MIN 00.00 SEC
VIRT: 940K SYS: 364K EXT: 92976K SYS: 11212K
ATB- REAL: 32K SLOTS: 0K
VIRT- ALLOC: 13M SHRD: 0M

IEF043I Actions taken by SMFLIMxx parmlib policy for DAATCPV1 PRINT
Step region below changed to NOLIMIT by policy - SMFLIM00 0001
Step region above changed to NOLIMIT by policy - SMFLIM00 0001
Step system reserved below set to 512K by policy - SMFLIM00 0001
Step system reserved above set to 100M by policy - SMFLIM00 0001
Step MEMLIMIT set to 10P by policy - SMFLIM00 0001 I have a looper program that will do STORAGE REQUEST till the cows come home I can test, but looking at the IOGEN JES2LOG I got exactly what I needed.
HTH's
Carmen

Jim Mulder
2017-08-29 19:18:36 UTC
REGIONABOVE controls 31-bit addressable storage. You cannot address
more than 2G with only 31 bits.

MEMLIMIT controls 64-bit addressable virtual storage. It has nothing
to do with the amount of real memory you have installed.

Jim Mulder z/OS Diagnosis, Design, Development, Test IBM Corp.
Poughkeepsie NY
Adams, Anne , DTI
2017-08-31 12:23:26 UTC
Thanks Jim. That's exactly what I needed to know.
Hey, why isn't that in the documentation? Why do I have to learn this stuff on the street?

John Eells
2017-08-31 13:15:17 UTC
Anne,

What's not clear about this, from the description of MEMLIMIT for SMFLIMxx?

MEMLIMIT(NOLIMIT|nnnnnM|nnnnnG|nnnnnT|nnnnnP)
Overrides the memlimit that was coded in a job's JCL, or the default
MEMLIMIT that was coded in the SMFPRMxx parmlib member. See z/OS
MVS JCL Reference. MEMLIMIT is the limit on the use of virtual storage
above 2 gigabytes for a single address space.

That is a serious question. How can we make this better? I have one or
two thoughts, but I want to see whether yours differ.
Post by Adams, Anne , DTI
[...]
IBM Poughkeepsie
***@us.ibm.com

Peter Relson
2017-09-02 00:07:54 UTC
...then REGIONABOVE refers to only 31-bit storage (so why NOLIMIT?)
The answer basically comes down to history and compatibility.

Region (and Region=0M) existed long before there was storage above 2G, and
has always referred to 31-bit storage.
Compatibility dictates that it always will so refer. And "0M" always meant
that there was no defined limit via that specification (which could be
overridden by various exits processing).

On the face of it you should expect that Region(NoLimit) means that there
is no defined limit of storage that is in the Region category. And it does
indeed mean that.

Thus I conclude that perhaps at the crux of the matter is that you might
not have understood what Region refers to in its z/OS context.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design