Displacement of ASG View Direct and PRO/JCL
Add Reply
Steven Liston
2017-05-31 09:57:43 UTC
Do any members have exposure to displacement of ASG's View Direct and/or PRO/JCL products?

Looking for experience of the displacement and migration exercise and timeframes therein (which I expect for View Direct would be directly related to the number of docs stored in the current repository).

Expect PRO/JCL would be fairly straightforward but View Direct perhaps more challenging.

Regards.

Bill Johnson

2017-05-31 13:56:50 UTC
I have found from a past shop that SEA JCL+ to be a good replacement for PROJCL.

The company was very helpful in converting from PROJCL to their version of the syntax checker.

It was an easy migration to their tool.

Not sure about View direct.

Systemware has a product that might be a good replacement. Or CA has products.

Systemware Content Server z/OS (Xptr)
Systemware Content Server DS (for distributed content servers on Windows and Unix platforms)

Behalf Of Steven Liston
Mitch Mccluhan
2017-05-31 14:05:55 UTC
...there is a better tool to replace ProJCL (I was one of the Product Managers on the precursor to ProJCL back in the day). The tool is J-MAN from RES. It is far superior to any other JCL automation tool. The conversion is straightforward and simple.

Regards,

Mitch McCluhan
***@aol.com

Lund James E
2017-05-31 14:55:33 UTC
Steven,
We are in the same boat with ASG VD product, and are POCing in-house tools to do the sweep/conversion. Glad to share with you offline where we're at.

Regards,
James
James-***@tamu.edu

2017-06-01 08:27:46 UTC
Adding to the list of candidate alternatives, for ASG-ViewDirect it might
be IBM Tivoli Output Manager for z/OS or IBM Content Manager OnDemand for
z/OS. For ASG-PRO/JCL, I agree with the RES suggestion. The full product
name is RES Suite J-Man. You might also take a look at SmartJCL from
HORIZONT.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM z Systems, AP/GCG/MEA
E-Mail: ***@sg.ibm.com

Edward Finnell
2017-06-01 08:52:50 UTC
Does John Anderson still maintain his ISV list in Canada? I googled a
little but there's tons of Andersons.

Longnecker, Dennis
2017-06-01 18:20:26 UTC
The list is still maintained, but not by John. Very little traffic on it.

Dennis

Silvio Camplani
2017-06-02 19:29:02 UTC
We migrated ViewDirect to SEA TRMS a couple of years ago. Sea was very
helpful with the migration. The transition was very smooth, but we used
only the basic function of VD. Cost savings where significant for us.
Regards,

Silvio Camplani
zSeries Sr. Analyst, Systems Support
Bombardier
----------------------------------------------------------------------> For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
p***@ptonthego.info
2017-09-08 14:02:00 UTC
Post by Steven Liston
Do any members have exposure to displacement of ASG's View Direct and/or PRO/JCL products?
Looking for experience of the displacement and migration exercise and timeframes therein (which I expect for View Direct would be directly related to the number of docs stored in the current repository).
Expect PRO/JCL would be fairly straightforward but View Direct perhaps more challenging.
Regards.
I'm also interested in ANY Successful migrations from ASG Viewdirect. In particular I am interested in how the history/archive data was converted.

Regards

Paul