How "print debug messages" from an SRB?
2017-10-02 21:54:20 UTC
Those of you who write code that runs on an SRB, what do you do in
development about debug messages? I assume there is no wonderful
customer-quality solution other than passing the results off to the "parent"
TCB process for it to log or display. But what do you do in debugging? You
call an MVS service and get a non-zero return code, probably because of
stupid, one-time programmer error. It's the sort of thing where you might
put out a quick WTO in TCB mode. But what do people do in SRB mode?

Mike LaMartina
2017-10-02 21:56:47 UTC
How about WTO LINKAGE=BRANCH?

to ***@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

2017-10-02 22:09:03 UTC
Aha! Missed that. That should work. Thanks,

Steve Smith
2017-10-03 14:15:23 UTC
Branch-entry WTO is fine for limited output; however, you will find
that the system doesn't tag such messages with a job ID (in my
experience... idk if there's a way to make it do so).

For more serious output, you might consider writing a print subtask,
and a queuing mechanism that SRBs and tasks can send their output to.
That should either be a good exercise to develop multi-tasking skillz,
or not that hard.

sas
Sent: Monday, October 2, 2017 2:58 PM

2017-10-03 15:31:32 UTC
Agreed on all points. That's what I was trying to say with "no wonderful customer-quality solution other than passing the results off to the "parent" TCB process for it to log or display. But ... stupid, one-time programmer error ... where you might put out a quick WTO."

On the job ID issue, IBM sez "If an SRB-mode or cross-memory mode caller issues WTO without the JOBID or JOBNAME parameter, the resulting message may not contain a job ID or job name" so that implies both the restriction and a possible solution.

Ed Jaffe
2017-10-13 12:11:29 UTC
Post by Steve Smith
Branch-entry WTO is fine for limited output; however, you will find
that the system doesn't tag such messages with a job ID (in my
experience... idk if there's a way to make it do so).
We use branch WTO almost exclusively within our infrastructure. We pass
in both jobname and jobid which are easily obtained from the JSAB.
--
Phoenix Software International
Edward E. Jaffe

Steve Smith
2017-10-13 12:58:47 UTC
On further review, I see the JOBNAME and JOBID params are perfectly
well documented. Likely I was in a hurry at the time, but I'll add
that feature sometime.

Thanks!