Help : FTP A PDS
John Dawes
2006-05-02 22:34:36 UTC
G'Day

I am a new member to your board and I have heard great things about it. Can anybody please tell me if and how I can FTP a whole PDS/PDSE? I have this pds with about 39 members. I would like to FTP them to my hard drive.

Thanks mates.

John

Yahoo! Personals: It's free to check out our great singles!

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Neubert, Kevin , DIS
2006-05-02 23:13:27 UTC
Charles Mills
2006-05-03 00:24:04 UTC
Post by John Dawes
I would like to FTP them to my hard drive.
FTP always has two ends. The ends make a difference! The end where you
initiate the transfer is called the "client"; the other end is called the
"server." Either end could be the "from" end or the "to" end - you can even
do both in one "job."

I'm going to guess that I can re-phrase your question as

"How do I initiate an FTP on my Windows system that will copy all of the
members of a PDS to my PC's hard drive?" Is that correct? If not, my answer
is going to be useless; please re-phrase my question.

There are two kinds of FTP clients for Windows: the one that comes with
Windows, and all of the others. The one that comes with Windows is a
"classic" FTP client -- a command-line type program. Here is how to do what
you ask, from memory - so I may be a little off:

C:\>FTP 12.34.56.78 [or whatever your mainframe's IP address or URL is]
userid
password
lcd "whatever Windows folder you want to put the members in"
cd my.PDS.name
mget *
[hit enter for every prompt - alternatively use the prompt command first to
turn off prompting]
quit

You can get help on these sub-commands by entering help commandname from
within FTP.

The "other" FTP programs tend to be more graphical and Windows-like. If you
will be doing this often, one of these would be a good investment of your
time. You may have firewall issues on your mainframe that the Windows FTP
client cannot solve, but the third-party clients can. One decent Windows FTP
client is Ipswitch WS_FTP. The lite version was free, last I knew. Google
knows where to find it.

Charles

Charles Mills
2006-05-03 02:29:47 UTC
Post by Charles Mills
cd my.PDS.name
Oops. Don't forget about "TSO naming conventions." UNQUOTED dataset names
are (usually) assumed to be prefixed with your user ID. So if your userID is
SYSJOHN, then

cd some.pds.name

Makes your "working directory" SYSJOHN.SOME.PDS.NAME. If the PDS's name does
NOT begin with SYSJOHN, then use quotes:

cd 'some.pds.name'

The FTP server will generally echo the working directory name, so that's a
reality check for you.

Charles

shmuel+ (Shmuel Metz , Seymour J.)
2006-05-03 23:13:37 UTC
Post by Charles Mills
I'm going to guess that I can re-phrase your question as
"How do I initiate an FTP on my Windows system that will copy all of
the members of a PDS to my PC's hard drive?"
In whch case he'd better not try it with a load library. The same is
true if he's running *bsd, Linux or OS/2.
Post by Charles Mills
C:\>FTP 12.34.56.78 [or whatever your mainframe's IP address or URL is]
Host name, not URL. FTP will not be able to parse a URL.

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
John Dawes
2006-05-10 12:49:30 UTC
Charles,

I tried your suggestion and it was an excellent one. I was able to download the pds.

Thanks to all for responding.
[...]

---------------------------------
The LOST Ninja blog: Exclusive clues, clips and gossip.

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO

Bob Shannon
2006-05-03 13:39:14 UTC
Post by John Dawes
I am a new member to your board and I have heard great
things about it. Can anybody please tell me if and how
I can FTP a whole PDS/PDSE? I have this pds with about
39 members. I would like to FTP them to my hard drive.
Others have responded, but I just wanted to point out that this probably
won't do what you want for load modules. It works fine for source and
JCL.

Bob Shannon

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Jim Keohane
2006-05-03 14:06:55 UTC
For PDS's with load modules do the "TSO XMIT tsouser OUTDS(FLATFILE.XMI)
"to create a flat file on TSO then do a BINARY FTP of that file to
whereever.

If whereever is also z/OS then make sure destination dataset is either
preallocated as LRECL=80,RECFM=FB,BLKSIZE=3120 or, if creating destination
dataset with FTP, do a SITE LRECL=80,RECFM=FB,BLKSIZE=3120 before the PUT
then do a TSO RECEIVE INDS(FLATFILE.XMI) to recreate original PDS load
library. - Jim

p.s. There *MAY* be some issues if destination PDS preexists with DCB
characteristics that are seriously at odds with source PDS's DCB
characteristics.

Dave Salt
2006-05-03 13:39:07 UTC
Post by John Dawes
I am a new member to your board and I have heard great things about it.
Can anybody please tell me if and how I can FTP a whole PDS/PDSE? I have
this pds with about 39 members. I would like to FTP them to my hard drive.
By far the easiest method I've found for transfering files to and from a
mainframe is using the ISPF Workstation Agent (or WSA for short). Installing
the WSA is a one-time process that involves going into ISPF option 3.7.1 and
downloading a mainframe file to your PC. After executing the downloaded
file, it creates a file on your PC called WSA.EXE. This one-time process
takes about 10 minutes to complete, and is well worth the effort.

Following the one-time set up, when you want to transfer files you need to
set up a workstation connection. This only needs to be completed once during
each ISPF session, and takes about 30 seconds to perform. The steps are as
follows:

1) Click the WSA.EXE file to launch it on your PC.
2) Enter WSCON (Workstation Connect) on any ISPF command line.
3) Enter the IP address of your PC in the TCP/IP field, and press ENTER. (If
you have a static IP address you only have to do this once as the address
remains on the WSCON panel forever).
4) The mainframe sends a connection request to your PC, and WSA.EXE responds
to it by opening a window on your desktop asking if you wish to accept the
incoming connection. Click 'Yes' to accept the connection.

Note: if you want to establish workstation connections frequently, you can
automate any or all of the steps indicated above. For example, whenever I
want to transfer files I simply select the file(s) I want to transfer, and
all of the steps listed above happen automatically.

Once a workstation connection is established, there are MANY things you can
do. For example, you can edit mainframe files on your PC, or edit PC files
on your mainframe. You can bring up a member list in ISPF option 3.7.2 and
select any members you want to transfer. You can even run ISPF in GUI mode
(but it's one of the few things I wouldn't recommend doing).

In short, the WSA is very powerful and I highly recommend it. If you have
any questions about it, just let me know. Hope that helps,

Dave Salt
SimpList(tm) - The easiest, most powerful way to surf a mainframe!
http://www.mackinney.com/products/SIM/simplist.htm

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
TISLER Zaromil
2006-05-03 13:40:24 UTC
<----- snip ----->
C:\>FTP 12.34.56.78 [or whatever your mainframe's IP address or URL is]
userid
password
lcd "whatever Windows folder you want to put the members in"
cd my.PDS.name
mget *
[hit enter for every prompt - alternatively use the prompt command first to
turn off prompting]
<----- snip ----->

You can also disable the prompting during mget starting the FTP transfer if
you enter the following command:
"ftp -i 12.34.56.78"

To see more FTP-client options and their descriptions enter
"ftp --help"

Zaromil

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Steve Bireley
2006-05-03 14:58:28 UTC
Seagull Software has a free Windows FTP client that handles PDS's well.
You can get it from Cnet, ZDnet, or directly from the Seagull website at
wwww.seagullsoftware.com.

Steve

2006-05-03 23:13:38 UTC
In <***@web31110.mail.mud.yahoo.com>, on
05/03/2006
Post by John Dawes
I am a new member to your board
ITYM mailing list.
Post by John Dawes
tell me if and how I can FTP a whole PDS/PDSE?
There are two different ways. If you're transferring files between two
z/OS systems, then you can FTP the data set with a member name of *,
e.g., my.dsn(*), with the proper options. Read up on the SITE command
of FTP.

OTOH, if you have an NJE connection then you may find it more
convenient to use XMIT.
Post by John Dawes
I would like to FTP them to my hard drive.
You don't say what operating system you have on your PC or whether you
need to deal with firewall issues. In general, you need to go into an
FTP client on either the PC or z/OS, change the local and remote
working directories, then do a get or put with a wildcard. Don't try
it with a load library.

OTOH, you can use WSA instead of FTP, connectivity permitting.

If you're looking at FTP as part of an automated procedure, you might
also consider scripting it in Perl, which has an FTP interface.

TISLER Zaromil
2006-05-04 07:57:59 UTC
<----- snip ----->
Post by Charles Mills
C:\>FTP 12.34.56.78 [or whatever your mainframe's IP address or URL is]
Host name, not URL. FTP will not be able to parse a URL.
<----- snip ----->

I am not sure if I have tried FTP with URL instead of host name, but linux
FTP clients (ftp, lftp, ncftp), default Windows 2000 FTP, and z/OS 1.7 FTP
allow the use of URLs ( just checked again the last two). In Windows

"H:\>ftp 192.168.243.49"

and in z/OS
"TSO FTP 192.168.243.49"

both establish a connection.

Help / man page states "host" and not "host name".

Zaromil

2006-05-04 12:52:56 UTC
In
<***@SRES1MXS8V1.res1.loc.lan.at>,
on 05/04/2006
Post by TISLER Zaromil
I am not sure if I have tried FTP with URL instead of host name, but
linux FTP clients (ftp, lftp, ncftp), default Windows 2000 FTP, and
z/OS 1.7 FTP allow the use of URLs
I suggest that you consult the definition of a URL.
Post by TISLER Zaromil
( just checked again the last two). In Windows
"H:\>ftp 192.168.243.49"
and in z/OS
"TSO FTP 192.168.243.49"
both establish a connection.
That's nice, but "192.168.243.49" is not a URL.

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Charles Mills
2006-05-04 13:55:57 UTC
The first definition I found was "An acronym for "Uniform Resource Locator,"
this is the address of a resource on the Internet." Would not FTP hosts
qualify as "a resource on the Internet"?

See also http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1738.txt

Charles

2006-05-05 18:48:35 UTC
Post by Charles Mills
The first definition I found was "An acronym for "Uniform Resource
Locator," this is the address of a resource on the Internet."
An apple is a fruit and an orange is a fruit, but an apple is not an
orange. An IP address or a domain name is not a URL or a URI.
Post by Charles Mills
See also http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1738.txt
You mean this?

In general, URLs are written as follows:

<scheme>:<scheme-specific-part>

Thus ftp://host.com/ is a URL but host.com is only a domain name.

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
TISLER Zaromil
2006-05-04 12:59:00 UTC
Shmuel,
Post by shmuel+ (Shmuel Metz , Seymour J.)
That's nice, but "192.168.243.49" is not a URL.
Sorry and thank you for correcting me.

Zaromil

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Juraschek, David F
2006-05-04 13:57:20 UTC
I didn't see anyone mention that you can also use DFDSS (or your favorite
backup - FDR perhaps) to make a dump of the dataset(s).

So, backup to a sequential disk file. Then FTP this to your destination
system and restore.

It's essentially the same as the XMIT option, just using a different
packaging tool.

It's relatively easy to set this up to work from Batch.

-Dave

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Paul Gilmartin
2006-05-04 14:53:30 UTC
Post by Charles Mills
The first definition I found was "An acronym for "Uniform Resource Locator,"
this is the address of a resource on the Internet." Would not FTP hosts
qualify as "a resource on the Internet"?
See also http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1738.txt
Indeed. But Tisler's constructs failed to meet the given syntax by
lacking a scheme part.

Nowadays browsers confuse the issue by attempting to complete typed
URL fragments by any combination of the following:

o Prefix "http://"

o Prefix "www."

o suffix ".com" (or ".org", ".net"., ".edu", ".gov", ...)

(Beware of typing "Whitehouse" and expecting to find W's home page.)

Conversely, I would not be surprised if some browsers attempt to interpred
FTP URLs.

I have sometimes in lists such as this used a FTP URL as a shorthand
notation for host + path. E.g.: ftp://testcase.boulder.ibm.com/s390.

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL

2006-05-05 18:48:48 UTC
Post by Paul Gilmartin
(Beware of typing "Whitehouse" and expecting to find W's home page.)
Some might consider whitehouse.com to be the more reputable of the
two.
Post by Paul Gilmartin
Conversely, I would not be surprised if some browsers attempt to
interpred FTP URLs.
I would be surprised if any current browser *failed* to support the
FTP scheme.
Post by Paul Gilmartin
I have sometimes in lists such as this used a FTP URL as a shorthand
ftp://testcase.boulder.ibm.com/s390.
And it's been that way for a long time. The flip side is that you
might have an FTP client that recognizes a URL, but that is *not* part
of the FTP specifications.

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
h***@cusys.edu
2006-05-05 19:16:31 UTC
Post by Paul Gilmartin
(Beware of typing "Whitehouse" and expecting to find W's home page.)
Some might consider whitehouse.com to be the more reputable of the
two.
It depends upon which fantasies one finds easier to accept.
Post by Paul Gilmartin
Conversely, I would not be surprised if some browsers attempt to
interpred FTP URLs.
I would be surprised if any current browser *failed* to support the
FTP scheme.
One would think that FTP is a mature technology and there wouldn't be
any problems using it with established software.

But I've had to set my PC's editor differently when FTPing from an IBM
mainframe using that had IBMs FTP software, than in one that had CAs
FTP software. A real pain when I needed to use both.
Paul Gilmartin
2006-05-04 14:58:48 UTC
Post by Juraschek, David F
I didn't see anyone mention that you can also use DFDSS (or your favorite
backup - FDR perhaps) to make a dump of the dataset(s).
So, backup to a sequential disk file. Then FTP this to your destination
system and restore.
Are the archive formats used by DFDSS and/or FDR FTP-robust?
Post by Juraschek, David F
It's essentially the same as the XMIT option, just using a different
packaging tool.Q
Not if the different packaging tool uses variable length records that
can't be reconstructed from a bit stream.

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Jim Keohane
2006-05-04 15:39:52 UTC
A RECFM=Vxx dataset can be FTP'd directly (BINARY) and reassembled at
z/OS destination.

Many moons ago I wrote an assembler quickie while contracting to IBM
TCP/IP that could read stream input (dataset of continuous bytes) containing
BDW's, RDW's, SDW's, etc. and reconstruct the original RECFM=V|VS|VB|VBS,
etc. dataset. Even LRECL=X if I recall correctly. The quickie (and
equivalents) were given to some customers and may have been included in an
APAR.

You can use IEBGENER or equivalent to create strem dataset by
overriding //SYSUT1 that points to V dataset with DCB=RECFM=U. You can even
skip copying V to stream by running batch FTP specifying source dataset via
DDNAME with //DDNAME containing DCB=RECFM=U override. Not sure if latter
still works.

I had added SITE RDW option to FTP but I believe there's a better option
today that includes BDW's as well as RDW's which obviates need for both
DCB=RECFM=U overrides.

CrayOS had pseudo VBS support and FTP was used long ago to transfer such
files twixt MVS and CrayOS.

Cheers, - Jim