How Programming Affects Your Brain: 3 Big Truths According to Science
Gabe Goldberg
2018-05-01 17:54:49 UTC
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-programming-affects-brain/

Funny, didn't mention effects on brain of learning APL or assembler.
--
Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, Inc. ***@gabegold.com
3401 Silver Maple Place, Falls Church, VA 22042 (703) 204-0433

Jack J. Woehr
2018-05-01 18:38:48 UTC
Post by Gabe Goldberg
Funny, didn't mention effects on brain of learning APL or assembler.
Or FORTH or m4
--
Jack J. Woehr # Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of
www.well.com/~jax # thinking, a way of skeptically interrogating the universe

PINION, RICHARD W.
2018-05-01 18:40:54 UTC
What about SNOBOL or ALGOL?

Funny, didn't mention effects on brain of learning APL or assembler.
Or FORTH or m4

--
Jack J. Woehr # Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of
www.well.com/~jax # thinking, a way of skeptically interrogating the universe www.softwoehr.com # with a fine understanding of human fallibility. - Carl Sagan

FIRST TENNESSEE

Confidentiality notice:
This e-mail message, including any attachments, may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.

Wayne Bickerdike
2018-05-01 19:34:11 UTC
Or RPG or Mantis or IDEAL or Natural or PL/1.

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 4:42 AM, PINION, RICHARD W. <
What about SNOBOL or ALGOL?

Wayne Bickerdike
2018-05-01 19:35:08 UTC
Or RPG or Mantis or IDEAL or Natural or PL/1.

I OR'd these to get the best language...
Post by Wayne Bickerdike
Or RPG or Mantis or IDEAL or Natural or PL/1.
On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 4:42 AM, PINION, RICHARD W. <
What about SNOBOL or ALGOL?

Steve Smith
2018-05-01 22:49:01 UTC
Perl - all things to all people (well, sort of).

This one's almost certain to cause brain damage: Malbolge
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malbolge>
I'd advise against clicking that link until Friday afternoon or maybe never.
Post by Wayne Bickerdike
Or RPG or Mantis or IDEAL or Natural or PL/1.
I OR'd these to get the best language...
​sas​

Pew, Curtis G
2018-05-02 00:09:07 UTC
Don’t forget INTERCAL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INTERCAL
--
Pew, Curtis G
***@austin.utexas.edu

Tomasz Rola
2018-05-02 13:54:56 UTC
Post by Jack J. Woehr
Post by Gabe Goldberg
Funny, didn't mention effects on brain of learning APL or assembler.
Or FORTH or m4
I am yet to see the article, but have they mentioned LISP in any of
its incarnations?
Tomasz Rola

--
** A C programmer asked whether computer had Buddha's nature. **
** As the answer, master did "rm -rif" on the programmer's home **

2018-05-02 07:37:57 UTC
Post by Pew, Curtis G
This one's almost certain to cause brain damage: Malbolge <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malbolge>
<quote>
Malbolge was specifically designed to be almost impossible to use, via a counter-intuitive 'crazy operation', base-three arithmetic, and self-altering code.
<end-quote>

I don't like "self-altering code", but that is just me.
Post by Pew, Curtis G
I'd advise against clicking that link until Friday afternoon or maybe never.
Too late. Got serious brain damage so early in May. ;-)
Post by Pew, Curtis G
Don’t forget INTERCAL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INTERCAL
I can't 'IGNORE' you. You 'FORGOT' to say 'PLEASE'. Seriously. ;-)

Kirk Wolf
2018-05-02 14:45:37 UTC
I don't give this article and the MRI study on which it is based much
credence.
Dijkstra was a great computer scientist, but I doubt that his iconic quotes
here are based on real data. His comments on COBOL and Basic might have
been influenced by his work on Algol, which he of course (as do I) found to
be far superior :-).

IBM did an extensive study in 1990-1992, where they evaluated how well a
large sample of programmers who were taught new OO languages (C++ and
Smalltalk).
A large positive correlation to success was whether the student had
knowledge of a variety of programming languages and skills. Duh.

https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=141944

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com

PS> Full disclosure: Steve Goetze of Dovetail was one of the authors of the
IBM paper/study and I worked in the instructor group that conducted it.

PPS> My first programming languages (at university) were Fortran, APL,
PL/1, Assembler.
<https://maps.google.com/?q=3401+Silver+Maple+Place,+Falls+Church,+VA+22042&entry=gmail&source=g>
2018-05-02 16:38:13 UTC
Also seems unaware of the difference between coding and programming.

https://secure-web.cisco.com/1O57gWdmxu9lb4jV9WwOqAdv2Ukw94lcWX804twS0qmkUAzE4hU90xT5R5Jv6Nv9_lN-xreCHFAcEGz_ieIWXW4iy3R_w783L_TcN5U_OeOyC0Z8G3o0Ih3A0IFpjbleWpzgjZoLTb0nUdFdHOL5rgEesjS7GCLIwmjsih2wZwJ__-Ez0mv1vneUPSWLjX9yPrU3nLObR2qENStPVIgvQGiqq6dI9QDWZBEt5HLR0v-yZQwMDYeF-tYdd8BdZUGzvpdcKJire6FedVS58UdsKmhDsoOJtjO5FUUk9z4oDqKZfIWVR9Ip192gWHkAo19pSXM_-tUZ-WM5tL3acowmtmrHdjds6xTj5T9ugc3Zg-brAPO4MzEWua-r5ugrRkpBohpjYYjKgBAvg4zc4nx9w0U8EI0-vVoMQeo8BJxOoH4VEmUi2tPabePLs-kPrtO38so-MiFEavAJOiKPU5u11gw/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.makeuseof.com%2Ftag%2Fhow-programming-affects-brain%2F

LinkedIn: http://secure-web.cisco.com/1KYrFCyELA-G7cLNZT91fiJm7GjeRsJfzZ4yrpKgfRthhWrZ9npdGBKaTlLyD_ht77FLXuwiSg0UZeuAvqcfxYZbMF992ov0n2k8PoNRtKMx_jd5Q5K8LT1jPv2XnlvFKsTLlB6afkTNF0u5ND4PS7BH0h7maYjpoa6jgimayyPMyhm_CEhJyzF61nTgo7utgQc_m8tuXAHRFCqPg1JGo-moatJwY2d7_sw8xMRcNfe9cQ2ToICvWik-tQiU2k_F8u9hJCksE4DxPvpnIY2fRszgYjua1eow66LvELz1X8qVfxzMLri1S2NBO3Vp6kahb2kUtv1Q7QizW8HsrSgreziXmBEssyEOnvyiOSQY_B904NHNEPq3TO7MygXcM8ot0RxbbgMixGyjckmpkmORleChOmufpTvUdq9LxHd_3nTie3dg7JCl2aUYyQcnq7hvg/http%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkedin.com%2Fin%2Fgabegold Twitter: GabeG0