Codepage
scott Ford
2018-03-06 14:53:15 UTC
All,

I need some help on localization for codepages. The issue is we use a '~' as a end of messages delimiter. We have a customer wanting to use a different code page .
Ebcdic codepage 285 to ascii codepage 437 .. We place a '~' which is a x'A1' which inside the normal
Ebcdic 1140 codepage is x'7E', in 285 it is x'BC' which isn't translating . We can't use national language support yet, so we have been using a translate table ezacic04 from CICS sockets.

Regards,
Scott

J R

Ray Pearce
2018-03-06 18:03:01 UTC
Take a look at the sample EZACICTR in TCPIP.SEZAINST.
This includes lots of translate tables and allows you to specify the required table by name.

Ray
Post by scott Ford
All,
I need some help on localization for codepages. The issue is we use a '~' as a end of messages delimiter. We have a customer wanting to use a different code page .
Ebcdic codepage 285 to ascii codepage 437 .. We place a '~' which is a
x'A1' which inside the normal Ebcdic 1140 codepage is x'7E', in 285 it is x'BC' which isn't translating . We can't use national language support yet, so we have been using a translate table ezacic04 from CICS sockets.
Regards,
Scott
This e-mail message has been scanned and cleared by Google Message Security
and the UNICOM Global security systems. This message is for the named
person's use only. If you receive this message in error, please delete it
and notify the sender.

2018-03-06 17:44:17 UTC
scott Ford wrote:

I see that J R replied to you, but I am still really confused about your post. Since this is about code page, I am probably on a different [code] page ... (yes, yes, that was an intended crrrrrruel pun and I will not turn a new page, mind you... ;-D )
Post by scott Ford
I need some help on localization for codepages. The issue is we use a '~' as a end of messages delimiter.
Ouch.... Where is that delimiter '~' and in what code page is that? In EBCDIC or ASCII?
Post by scott Ford
We have a customer wanting to use a different code page . Ebcdic codepage 285 to ascii codepage 437 .. We place a '~' which is a x'A1' which inside the normal Ebcdic 1140 codepage is x'7E', in 285 it is x'BC' which isn't translating .
Where do they want to use that code page? On IBM z/OS [what release?] or after a FTP (or FTPS/SFPT) on a different toy machine?
Post by scott Ford
We can't use national language support yet, so we have been using a translate table ezacic04 from CICS sockets.
This table? Ok, please educate me, where are you getting that table?

It looks to me you got a difficult octopus to play with... Ouch ...

2018-03-06 18:14:30 UTC
Don't confuse glyphs with code points. ~ is perhaps a delimiter for humans who are perceiving glyphs visually but not for software that is processing code points in binary. It would facilitate clearer thinking to say "we are using x'something' (what? My poor old yellow card does not even have ~) as a delimiter, and then translating that to ASCII before sending it to software which expects the message to be delimited with x'something'."

scott Ford
2018-03-06 23:26:12 UTC
We are using EZACICTR..we build a message inside our STC and convert EBCDIC data to ASCII data based on a Parm, I.e.; codepage=uk ...uk is in side the EZACICTR the entry is selected data converted, then encrypted and a socket-write issued to a Java server. Part of our message build for example maybe create a list of RACF userids, at the very end we add a '~' to tell the Java server that's the end of data. We have done used the COBOL codepage 1140 for EBCDIC data..the Java server is using codepage 437. All characters are good no problems. Using a different EBCDIC codepage from EZACICTR yields a tilde on z/OS but not on the Java server..hence the problem..

Any ideas ?

Regards,
Scott
Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2018 9:46 AM
Farley, Peter x23353
2018-03-06 23:44:15 UTC
PMFJI here, but ISTM that something is wrong with your translate table(s). Character tilde is X'A1' in code page 1140 (aka 037), and tilde is X'7E' in both IEC-8859-1 (LATIIN-1) and in UTF-8. Doe the Java server not use either UTF-8 or IEC-8859-1? Does your translate to "ASCII" not convert the tilde to X'7E' on the way to the Java server?

Translating IEC-8859-1 or UTF-8 at the Java server back to code page 285 (UK EBCDIC) on the way out from that server should result in the tilde becoming X'BC'. Does that conversion not happen?

In other words, where in the process does the translation break down?

Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2018 9:46 AM

2018-03-07 16:35:38 UTC
GX20-0157-2, GX20-1850-3 and GX20-1850-36 have ~ at A1, with an alternate glyph of degree sign.

scott Ford
2018-03-07 18:18:15 UTC
All,

This isnt a Java issue see below:

Sample program calling EZACICTR with MODE in Table set to SINGLE...

CBL NOC(E),FLAG(W),DATA(31),NODYN,RES,RENT,OPT,MAP,NOSSR
CBL NOZWB,NUM,NOTERM,NOVBREF,X,APOST,LIB,LIST,NSYMBOL(NATIONAL)
IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
PROGRAM-ID. IDFNLS1.
ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.
INPUT-OUTPUT SECTION.
FILE-CONTROL.
DATA DIVISION.
FILE SECTION.
WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.
01 TRANSLATE-RC PIC 9(8) COMP.
01 TRANSLATE-TBLNAME PIC X(8).
01 REPLY-MESSAGE-SIZE PIC S9(5) COMP VALUE 0.
01 WS-MSG-AREA PIC X
VALUE '~'.
01 HEXNUM PIC X(4).
01 DECNUM REDEFINES HEXNUM PIC S9(8) COMP.
01 HEXVAL PIC X(20).
01 HEXSTR PIC X(16) VALUE '0123456789ABCDEF'.
01 DEC PIC S9(4) COMP.
01 FILLER REDEFINES DEC.
05 FILLER PIC X.
05 DECBYTE PIC X.
01 I PIC S9(8) COMP.
01 J PIC S9(8) COMP.
01 Q PIC S9(8) COMP.
01 R PIC S9(8) COMP.
01 J1 PIC S9(8) COMP.
01 Q1 PIC S9(8) COMP.
01 R1 PIC S9(8) COMP.
PROCEDURE DIVISION.
MOVE 1 TO REPLY-MESSAGE-SIZE
MOVE 'UK' TO TRANSLATE-TBLNAME
DISPLAY '--EBCDIC-IN ----'
DISPLAY 'TRANS-TBL ----' TRANSLATE-TBLNAME
DISPLAY 'REPLY-MSG-SIZE ' REPLY-MESSAGE-SIZE
DISPLAY 'DATA IN -- ' WS-MSG-AREA
CALL 'EZACIE2A' USING WS-MSG-AREA REPLY-MESSAGE-SIZE
TRANSLATE-TBLNAME
RETURNING TRANSLATE-RC.
DISPLAY '--ASCII-OUT ----'
DISPLAY 'TRANSLATE-RC ' TRANSLATE-RC
DISPLAY 'TRANS-TBL ----' TRANSLATE-TBLNAME
DISPLAY 'REPLY-MSG-SIZE ' REPLY-MESSAGE-SIZE
DISPLAY 'DATA OUT -- ' WS-MSG-AREA
MOVE WS-MSG-AREA TO HEXNUM
PERFORM VARYING I FROM 1 BY 1 UNTIL I > 4
COMPUTE J = 2 * I - 1
MOVE HEXNUM(I:1) TO DECBYTE
DIVIDE DEC BY 16 GIVING Q REMAINDER R
COMPUTE J1 = J + 1
COMPUTE Q1 = Q + 1
COMPUTE R1 = R + 1
MOVE HEXSTR(Q1:1) TO HEXVAL(J:1)
MOVE HEXSTR(R1:1) TO HEXVAL(J1:1)
END-PERFORM.
DISPLAY 'PRINTABLE HEX: ' HEXVAL.
GOBACK.

Heres the output:

--EBCDIC-IN ----
TRANS-TBL ----UK
REPLY-MSG-SIZE 00001
DATA IN -- ~
--ASCII-OUT ----
TRANSLATE-RC 00000012 -- this indicates wrong number of parameters
TRANS-TBL ----UK
REPLY-MSG-SIZE 00001
DATA OUT -- ~
PRINTABLE HEX: A1404040

Second execution - EZACICTR MODE set to MULTIPLE

--EBCDIC-IN ----
TRANS-TBL ----UK
REPLY-MSG-SIZE 00001
DATA IN -- ~
PRINTABLE HEX: A1404040
--ASCII-OUT ----
TRANSLATE-RC 00000000
TRANS-TBL ----UK
REPLY-MSG-SIZE 00001
DATA OUT --
*PRINTABLE HEX: EE404040*

I need to whats going on so i can fix it..
The EZACICTR is a IBM supplied table...from TCPIP.SEZAINST, we should be
seeing the * PRINTABLE HEX: A1404040*

Anyone have any ideas...

Scott
Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2018 1:15 PM
Don't confuse glyphs with code points. ~ is perhaps a delimiter for humans
who are perceiving glyphs visually but not for software that is processing
code points in binary. It would facilitate clearer thinking to say "we are
using x'something' (what? My poor old yellow card does not even have ~) as
a delimiter, and then translating that to ASCII before sending it to
software which expects the message to be delimited with x'something'."
Behalf Of Elardus Engelbrecht
Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2018 9:46 AM
Post by scott Ford
I need some help on localization for codepages. The issue is we use a '~'
as a end of messages delimiter.
Ouch.... Where is that delimiter '~' and in what code page is that? In EBCDIC or ASCII?
*IDMWORKS *

Scott Ford

z/OS Dev.

“By elevating a friend or Collegue you elevate yourself, by demeaning a
friend or collegue you demean yourself”

www.idmworks.com

***@idmworks.com

Blog: www.idmworks.com/blog

*The information contained in this email message and any attachment may be
privileged, confidential, proprietary or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or
use of this message and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to
the message and permanently delete it from your computer and destroy any
printout thereof.*

Clifford McNeill
2018-03-07 19:32:39 UTC
Scott,

I found this document http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21256665&aid=1 which is some version of the source to EZACICTR. In there I see that mode=single and mode=multiple have a different number of parameters. Your call (as below) are for mode=multiple, hence the parameter number error. Also in this source, I see that table UK translates an incoming EBCDIC X'A1' to an ASCII X'EE'. So the results in the mode=multiple example below seem to match that.

Cliff McNeill

________________________________

Post by Seymour J Metz
GX20-0157-2, GX20-1850-3 and GX20-1850-36 have ~ at A1, with an alternate
glyph of degree sign.
The Homepage of Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz<http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3>
mason.gmu.edu
Professional. I am a senior systems programmer and software developer with experience on a wide variety of languages and platforms. I have participated in the design ...
Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2018 9:46 AM
Post by scott Ford
I need some help on localization for codepages. The issue is we use a '~'
as a end of messages delimiter.
Ouch.... Where is that delimiter '~' and in what code page is that? In EBCDIC or ASCII?

*IDMWORKS *

Scott Ford

z/OS Dev.

“By elevating a friend or Collegue you elevate yourself, by demeaning a
friend or collegue you demean yourself”

www.idmworks.com<http://www.idmworks.com>
Home - IDMWORKS<http://www.idmworks.com/>
www.idmworks.com
Most IT Departments Are Lean And Lacking The Resources To Perform The Critical Tasks Of Preparing, Planning And Executing A Comprehensive Data Center Migration Or IT ...

***@idmworks.com

Blog: www.idmworks.com/blog<http://www.idmworks.com/blog>

IDMWORKS Blog - IDMWORKS<http://www.idmworks.com/blog>
www.idmworks.com
I worked with a client that had too many open process tasks in OIM. This had occurred as the result of a combination of network issues and the surprise retirement of an application. This resulted in thousands of process tasks stuck in a rejected status. Since the application had been retired, many of the tasks could not … Continue reading Bulk Open Task Cleanup

2018-03-07 06:48:27 UTC
Post by scott Ford
We are using EZACICTR..we build a message inside our STC and convert EBCDIC data to ASCII data based on a Parm, I.e.; codepage=uk ...uk is in side the EZACICTR the entry is selected data converted, then encrypted and a socket-write issued to a Java server. Part of our message build for example maybe create a list of RACF userids, at the very end we add a '~' to tell the Java server that's the end of data. We have done used the COBOL codepage 1140 for EBCDIC data..the Java server is using codepage 437. All characters are good no problems. Using a different EBCDIC codepage from EZACICTR yields a tilde on z/OS but not on the Java server..hence the problem..
Ok, I understand. Thanks.
Post by scott Ford
Any ideas ?
Perhaps you can generate all characters from x'00' to whatever limit there is and see what character yields a tilde?

Sorry, I can't help here (I am not a Java guy...). If you can't get help, I believe you should submit a formal request to fix it?