List of EBCDIC code pages supported by iconv?
Phil Smith III
2017-12-21 00:39:13 UTC
I feel silly here, but darned if I can find a definitive list of the EBCDIC
code pages that iconv supports on z/OS. Googled my brains out, and built the
list at the bottom of this note. But I don't know if it's complete.

Anyone know where this might be documented?

IBM-037 Europe

IBM-1025 Cyrillic

IBM-1026 Latin 5 (Turkey)

IBM-1027 Japan Latin

IBM-1047 Open Systems

IBM-1112 Baltic

IBM-1122 Estonia

IBM-1140 Finland, Sweden

IBM-1141 Austria, Germany

IBM-1142 Denmark, Norway

IBM-1143 USA

IBM-1144 Italy

IBM-1145 Spain, spanish-speaking Latin America

IBM-1146 UK

IBM-1147 France

IBM-1148 Belgium, Switzerland

IBM-1149 Iceland

IBM-1388 China

IBM-273 Germany

IBM-274 Belgium

IBM-277 Denmark - Norway

IBM-278 Sweden - Finland

IBM-280 Italy

IBM-284 Spain - Latin America

IBM-285 UK

IBM-290 Japanese Katakana

IBM-297 France

IBM-424 Israel

IBM-500 International

IBM-838 Thai

IBM-871 Iceland

IBM-875 Greek

IBM-924 IBM500/IBM1047 with euro

IBM-930 Japanese Katakana/Kanji multibyte

IBM-933 Korea

IBM-935 China

IBM-937 Taiwan

IBM-939 Japan Extended

IBM-970 Latin 2

IBM-971 Iceland

IBM-975 Greece

Todd J. Gagle
2017-12-21 01:04:43 UTC
Give the following a try, it's a start:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSAL2T_8.1.0/com.ibm.cics.tx.doc/reference/r_code_pg_sprt.html

2017-12-21 01:28:37 UTC
Post by Phil Smith III
I feel silly here, but darned if I can find a definitive list of the EBCDIC
code pages that iconv supports on z/OS. Googled my brains out, and built the
list at the bottom of this note. But I don't know if it's complete.
Try the following; it's text; you can copy, paste, and delete lines not containing "EBCDIC:"
https://www-01.ibm.com/software/globalization/ccsid/ccsid_registered.html

Then, intersect with:
iconv -l

Tony Harminc
2017-12-21 01:37:38 UTC
Post by Phil Smith III
I feel silly here, but darned if I can find a definitive list of the EBCDIC
code pages that iconv supports on z/OS. Googled my brains out, and built the
list at the bottom of this note. But I don't know if it's complete.
Anyone know where this might be documented?
I'd start here:

https://www-01.ibm.com/software/globalization/cdra/index.html

CDRA is, of course, not z/OS specific, but there is little reason to
think that z/OS iconv (aka Unicode conversion services) doesn't have
available to it all the code pages known to CDRA.

It may be the case that not all code pages are installed at a given
site, but conversion services is able to do two-step conversions
between non-Unicode code pages through Unicode if necessary. And
missing code pages, or for that matter custom ones, can be installed
as needed.

There is also the z/OS Unicode Services User's Guide and Reference (in
KC, of course - start here:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.cunu100/toc.htm
), which has two lists in an appendix:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.cunu100/iea3un_Direct_conversions_supported_between_non-Unicode_CCSIDs_.htm
and
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.cunu100/diruni.htm

More information than you need, perhaps, as there are non-EBCDIC,
non-Unicode code pages there too.

It is also possible to query the system about what code pages are
installed. Or just try it and if what you need isn't installed you
will get a return/reason code telling you so fairly precisely. I'm not
sure how well these return codes are translated to iconv()
errno/errno2, but there is a non-iconv C interface too.

Tony H.

2017-12-21 01:48:58 UTC
Post by Phil Smith III
I feel silly here, but darned if I can find a definitive list of the EBCDIC
code pages that iconv supports on z/OS. Googled my brains out, and built the
list at the bottom of this note. But I don't know if it's complete.
Try the following; it's text; you can copy, paste, and delete lines not containing "EBCDIC:"
https://www-01.ibm.com/software/globalization/ccsid/ccsid_registered.html
iconv -l
Or, in:
z/OS IBM XL C/C++
Programming Guide
Version 2 Release 3
Code set converters supplied

(doesn't distinguish EBCDIC.)

Just curious; what would you do with this information if you had it? Copy
to a User's Guide? Would it be better simply to refer to one of the documents
above lest IBM change the rules?

ISPF manuals list code pages supported by ISPF Edit, both EBCDIC and otherwise.

I assume you intend to call iconv and report any errors.