PDS/E issue
Add Reply
Steely.Mark
2017-09-05 21:20:24 UTC
We are z/OS 2.2. For a DR test our current volumes are flashed ( I may not be using the correct term) and we IPL from these volumes. The DR test is also performed on a separate CPU not connected to the current environment. After the IPL we have a process which updates several members in a PDS/E .
We use a file-aid job to update the members - this PDS/E is a JES2 proc. The job received the following messages : PDSE MEMBER IN USE, UNABLE TO PROCESS MEMBER XXXX1234. I tried several ways to determine what was using the data set and/or member. I was able to edit the data set and member. I used a MXI enq display and D GRS,RES=(*,xxx.xxxxx) command and nothing was found.

I was able to allocate a new pds/e using ISPF 3.2 and copy the members using ISPF 3.3. Then I was able to rename the datasets and resume processing. After the rename - with the old dataset - I tried to run the update job and it still failed with the in use message. With the new pdse the job ran as expected.

I didn't have any more time to investigate.

Has anyone else had this type of issue ?

Any other idea's what to do if this occurs again?

Thank You

2017-09-05 22:11:47 UTC
Maybe you could provide a simple stick diagram to clarify your config. I'm puzzled by the statement that the test involves 'a separate CPU not connected to the current environment'. If it's not connected, how does it share DASD with production?

PDSE, unlike traditional PDS, is very sensitive to configuration. In general, sharing a PDSE across sysplex boundaries is not supported. Even though a file is physically accessible, sharing as PDSE requires support from XCF/XES. That's only possible within a single sysplex.

Is this the first test you've ever done in this config?

2017-09-05 22:34:56 UTC
I also wondered what
Post by Steely.Mark
this PDS/E is a JES2 proc
meant exactly.

2017-09-05 22:45:07 UTC
What is the MESSAGE id of the PDSE MEMBER IN USE message.

That might provide a clue.

Behalf Of Steely.Mark