RMM tape init question
Tony Thigpen
2018-05-07 13:47:31 UTC
We have recently converted to RMM. I need to init a bunch of used tapes
that already have a volid. I have hit several problems and it just seems
that the only way to do what I need is to process the tapes twice.

Using EDGINERS, it appears that you can only change a volid if the
existing volid is already in the RMM catalog. These tapes are not in the
catalog.

So, it looks like I need to relabel the tapes using other tools, such as
IEHINITT, then run EDGINERS against the tape.

Did I miss something that would make this a much simpler process?
--
Tony Thigpen

2018-05-07 14:03:49 UTC
Post by Tony Thigpen
We have recently converted to RMM. I need to init a bunch of used tapes
that already have a volid. I have hit several problems and it just seems
that the only way to do what I need is to process the tapes twice.
Using EDGINERS, it appears that you can only change a volid if the
existing volid is already in the RMM catalog. These tapes are not in the
catalog.
So, it looks like I need to relabel the tapes using other tools, such as
IEHINITT, then run EDGINERS against the tape.
Did I miss something that would make this a much simpler process?
--
Tony Thigpen
​So you have a volume which is, for example, already initialized as 100000
which is not registered with RMM. You want to initialize it​ as 200000 and
register it with RMM at the same time. I don't know RMM. But looking at
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.idarc00/excinr.htm

I would think that you could use the WRONGLABEL(IGNORE) to do what you
want. You might need LABEL=(1,BLP) to do this, I don't know. And I'm
totally ignoring the question of the external bar coded volser on the tape
which is used by the robot. I guess I'm also assuming an automated tape
library. In the case of an ATL, I would physically relabel the old tape
with the new volser; then insert it into the robot. The JCL would then
refer to the new volser so that the robot gets the proper tape. That's why
I'd use the LABEL=(1,BLP) so that z/OS doesn't get "huffy" about things.
--
We all have skeletons in our closet.
Mine are so old, they have osteoporosis.

Tony Thigpen
2018-05-07 14:43:25 UTC
Thanks.

I was looking at the SYSIN parms for EDGINERS and never noticed that
there were additional options as a parm on the EXEC card. I will try
this later today.

These tapes have had their external labels removed to facilitate putting
new robot labels that are within our normal volid range. We have done
this using CA1 in the past, but now we are running RMM. So, I don't know
what the current internal label is.

Tony Thigpen
Tom Conley
2018-05-07 15:02:50 UTC
Post by Tony Thigpen
We have recently converted to RMM. I need to init a bunch of used tapes
that already have a volid. I have hit several problems and it just seems
that the only way to do what I need is to process the tapes twice.
Using EDGINERS, it appears that you can only change a volid if the
existing volid is already in the RMM catalog. These tapes are not in the
catalog.
So, it looks like I need to relabel the tapes using other tools, such as
IEHINITT, then run EDGINERS against the tape.
Did I miss something that would make this a much simpler process?
--
Tony Thigpen
Tony,

You have to ADDVOL the tapes first, they should show up in INIT status.
Then run EDGINERS to INIT them. There are various options to bypass all
the WTOR's you'll get saying ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO RELABEL this tape.
Been a while for me, I don't remember the options, even though it was
my requirement that added them. You'll get there eventually.

Regards,
Tom Conley

Mark Pace
2018-05-08 13:20:18 UTC
Example of how I add a new volume to RMM and then initialize it.

//REMOVEV EXEC PGM=IKJEFT01
//SYSTSPRT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSTSIN DD *
RMM AV MP0121 STATUS(SCRATCH) COUNT(1) DENSITY(*) INITIALIZE(Y) -
LABEL(SL) LOCATION(LUMINEX) MEDIANAME(3590) MEDIATYPE(HPCT) -
USE(MVS) RECORDINGFORMAT(128TRACK) STORGRP(TPSG)
/*

//STEP2 EXEC PGM=EDGINERS
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//TAPE DD UNIT=(3590-1,,DEFER)
//SYSIN DD *
INIT VOLUME(MP0121)
/*
Post by Tony Thigpen
[...]
The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent
Mainline’s positions or opinions

Mark D Pace
Senior Systems Engineer
Mainline Information Systems