Rant of the Day - First World Problems
Add Reply
Scott Fagen
2018-06-12 15:35:46 UTC
Just figured I'd do the LISTSERV equivalent of primal scream therapy.

One of the pleasures of Google is the ability to get help on almost anything IBM mainframe related by searching for something like:

TSO REXX POS

and you'd get back a pointer to the page in the online library to the POS function within the first five or so Google hits. Given that the z/OS 2.1 doc has been out there for a very long time, almost all of the "hits" refer to the z/OS 2.1 knowledge center.

IBM took down all these books in the last couple of days and now all of these hits have been turned to $hit:

Documentation for z/OS V2.1.0 is no longer available in IBM Knowledge Center.

While the product version and release remains in service, you can find information in the following formats:
Individual PDFs for downloading: https://www.ibm.com/servers/resourcelink/svcoo100.nsf/pages/zosv2r1-pdf-download?OpenDocument
z/OS V2R1 Adobe Indexed Collection (all PDFs with full text search via the free Adobe Acrobat Reader): http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/zoslib/pdf/zosv2r1pdfcollection.zip
IBM Knowledge Center plugins for downloading (for use with IBM Knowledge Center for z/OS): http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/zoslib/SSLTBW_2.1.0_4KC.jar.
For information about current releases of this product see http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW/welcome.

More information and resources are available at the IBM z/OS Internet Library: https://www.ibm.com/servers/resourcelink/svcoo100.nsf/pages/zosinternetlibrary?opendocument.

Now, this isn't IBM's fault. However, taking the same search to the z/OS 2.2 KC main page gives nothing of value for someone looking for the POS (ironic, huh?) function (the search was TSO REXX POS):

- The TSO command environment
- Host command environments for z/OS UNIX processing
- TSO commands, CLISTs, and REXX EXECs
- Using TSO subcommands from a TSO CLIST or REXX exec
- REXX ADDRESS TSO support requirements

Here's Google's #1 hit (that's as far as you have to go) for TSO REXX POS:

POS (Position) - IBM
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.../pos.htm
POS (Position) z/OS TSO/E REXX Reference SA32-0972-00 ... (See also the INDEX and LASTPOS functions.) Returns 0 if needle is the null string or is not found ...

To curtail a possible rathole on this discussion, please don't suggest adding "z/OS 2.2" to the Google search. It doesn't help. The Googler simply returns a similar set of hits and says it couldn't find "2.2".

POS (Position) - IBM
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2...ibm.zos.../pos.htm
z/OS TSO/E REXX Reference ... returns the position of one string, needle, in another, haystack. (See also the INDEX and LASTPOS functions.) Returns 0 if ...
Missing: 2.2 <==== weird for the most likely hit, no?

I'd be glad to entertain suggestions on how to better negotiate Google (use Bing?) or make the IBM KC site return more intelligent results. Whatever happened to Watson?

Rant complete,
Scott Fagen
21st Century Software

Alan Young
2018-06-12 18:27:12 UTC
When IBM made the change they should have coordinated with Google to dump the current index of the site and initiate a reindex.

Still it was a bit abrupt to do this without warning. A couple of people have left comments on the new landing page requesting reinstatement of that version's KC.

________________________________

Carmen Vitullo
2018-06-12 18:40:04 UTC
What bothers me the most, is IIRC, before KC, if I searched for some IBM message or APAR or PTF...whatever, a hit on Google sent me to the exact selection of the doc, now it just brings me to the TOC of the DOC, and if I search again, in KC the search tool does not send itself to highlight or show me appropriate content. Bookmanager and PDF lend themself to show me when my search content was found.
not just what documents it was found in.
my .0002 cents

Carmen Vitullo

Ward Able, Grant
2018-06-13 10:37:30 UTC
I hate doing a search in the KC, because you seldom get a pointer to what you are searching for, but have to divine other searches to get to the data.

KC SEARCH STINKS!!!!!

Regards – Grant.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

There is no such thing as the Cloud. It is just somebody else’s computer.

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over? - John Wooden

DTCC Internal (Green)

[...]

DTCC DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and any attachments from your system. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

Jerry Callen
2018-06-13 14:47:27 UTC
Aw, man, this really, really stinks.

I have embedded Knowledge Center URLs in about a gazillion wiki pages that are widely used by other coworkers. I always try to link to "the latest" version (currently, of course, 2.3), but I'm sure I have a lot of 2.2 links, and quite possibly some old 2.1 links. But regardless of how careful I am, time marches on, and inevitably my links will go out-of-date.

IBM, if you are listening - you are NOT doing us any favors by taking the old doc offline.

-- Jerry

Linda
2018-06-13 14:58:05 UTC
Hi Jerry,

Complete agreement here. Sometimes, I think that automated reload, near line could be acceptable. What do you think?

Linda

Sent from my iPhone
GreenGA
2018-06-13 16:34:37 UTC
Another thing IBM did not take into account, those customers, and I am certain there are plenty, will be paying for extended 2.1 support!

WTH are those customers going to do?