[EXTERNAL] Re: HLQ change of SMP/E files
Add Reply
Sankaranarayanan, Vignesh
2018-05-01 13:51:36 UTC
Thanks John. Hope you're doing alright.

So will a ZONEEDIT be all, or are there other things to be mindful of?

– Vignesh
Mainframe Infrastructure

2018-05-01 13:53:11 UTC
Ooh... almost forgot the other question - is there a way to test run this, equivalent of ADRDSSU's TYPRUN=NORUN?

– Vignesh
Mainframe Infrastructure

--

________________________________

2018-05-01 15:13:36 UTC
On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 8:54 AM, Sankaranarayanan, Vignesh <
Post by Sankaranarayanan, Vignesh
Ooh... almost forgot the other question - is there a way to test run this,
equivalent of ADRDSSU's TYPRUN=NORUN?
​My suggestion is to first read the documentation that I pointed you to.
I'm not an expert. I haven't used this very much at all.​

retired mainframer
2018-05-01 16:02:36 UTC
There are always other things to be mindful of. Think of other places the HLQ WHYNOT could appear.

Do any of the SYSMODs for this product contain ++JCLIN statements? Did the vendor supply any JCLIN commands?

Do any of the product elements that contain text, such as MAC, SRC, or DATA, contain dataset names (some products include sample JCL procedures)?
Tom Marchant
2018-05-01 20:05:37 UTC
Post by retired mainframer
Do any of the SYSMODs for this product contain ++JCLIN statements?
Did the vendor supply any JCLIN commands?
That shouldn't matter. JCLIN processing only looks at the low level qualifiers.

As John pointed out, ZONEEDIT can be used to change many DDDEFs with
one command. I have used it and found that it works quite well. Of course,
you would also have to rename the data sets.

AFAIK, there is no ZONEEDIT CHECK, but if you want to try it out, you could
always install a product into a throw-away zone and experiment there.

Or define some new DDDEFs with data set names that may not even exist,
and that are named differently than your existing data set names. You could
define DDNAMEs FOO1, FOO2, etc, with DSNAMEs FOO.FOO1, FOO.FOO2, etc,
and use ZONEEDIT to change the DSNAMES to BAR.FOO1, BAR.FOO2, etc.

When you are done delete those DDDEFs
--
Tom Marchant