IBM-MAIN Digest - 30 Dec 2017 to 1 Jan 2018 (#2018-1)
Add Reply
Florian Bilek
2018-01-02 06:20:16 UTC
Hi Jonny,

Importing the usercatalog doesn't mean that you find the datasets
automatically on the other system. You need the same ALIAS on the other
System as well. It is not created during importing the catalog on the other
system but need to be defined by IDCAMS.

BR Florian

Am 02.01.2018 6:00 vorm. schrieb "IBM-MAIN automatic digest system" <
***@listserv.ua.edu>:

There is 1 message totaling 48 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

1. catalog doubt

Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2018 13:08:48 -0600
From: Beverly Caldwell <***@GMAIL.COM>
Subject: Re: catalog doubt

Well, for someone who is new to the mainframe you certainly chose a deep
pool to jump into. Messing with catalogs is always fun. There's a great
vendor product available which will allow you to do almost anything with
foreign catalogs, I can't just remember its name but I'm sure someone else
will help you out.

Now if you really like banging your head against a brick wall, try dealing
with datasets which are SMS managed on one LPAR but are not cataloged to
the LPAR you are on. If you want to access those you really will have fun
and you'll be wondering why on earth you got into this mainframe cr/\p in
the first place.
Hi all,
i have XYZ dataset's (vsam and non-vsam) files on SYSA under usercatlog
"SYSA.ADCDCAT.TEST" . I would like to use all XYZ datasets on SYSB.
I ran import connect job on SYSB after sharing the same volume's where XYZ
are resides.But i could not fetch the datasets on new system directly , it
shows "NO data set names found" . I can fetch it only by giving volume
serial along with datasetname on 3.4 . Did i'm miss any anything ?. I have
create alias user01 for SYSA.ADCDCAT.TEST on sysa. should i create the
same
alias again on sysB as well? . please guide me ,i'm new to mainframe
environment .
Note: I'm uisng RDZ not real mainframe box .

End of IBM-MAIN Digest - 30 Dec 2017 to 1 Jan 2018 (#2018-1)

2018-01-02 16:48:09 UTC
Aliases live in each system's master catalog. An alias is not absolutely required to find a data set, but it makes the process more convenient. You can locate a data set via the CATALOG() parameter as long the process you're using supports it. STEPCAT/JOBCAT has been gone from batch for a long time, so you may be forced to determine data set volser separately and use that in your actual process.

Watch out for a case where the 'imported' system uses an alias that is already defined in the local system. Since an alias can resolve only one way, a duplicate data set must be accessed by volser.