IBM to finally drop JES3
Edward Gould
2017-08-30 01:29:52 UTC
According to Watson blog post,
Some other statements of direction (SOD) include: stabilization of DFS/SMB because NFS is the strategic file sharing protocol; last release to provide national language translation in languages other than Japanese; last release to support user keys for system storage (CSA, ECSA, ESQA, SCOPE=COMMON data spaces); and the most interesting of all – stabilization of JES3, with all future development being done on JES2.

I’ll bet the JES3 group at SHARE will not be happy.
There maybe some who will offer their version of JES3 to the “public”.

Ed
2017-08-30 03:52:58 UTC
Were you at SHARE? SHARE is "on it." They are working on a statement of position to IBM. Have an opinion? Write to Harry dot Williams (a) marist dot edu

Edward Gould
2017-08-30 04:27:39 UTC
Post by Edward Gould
According to Watson blog post,
Some other statements of direction (SOD) include: stabilization of DFS/SMB because NFS is the strategic file sharing protocol; last release to provide national language translation in languages other than Japanese; last release to support user keys for system storage (CSA, ECSA, ESQA, SCOPE=COMMON data spaces); and the most interesting of all – stabilization of JES3, with all future development being done on JES2.
I’ll bet the JES3 group at SHARE will not be happy.
There maybe some who will offer their version of JES3 to the “public”.
Ed
No, I let the junior people go to the parties now. My traveling days are over.

Ed

Edward Finnell
2017-08-30 04:35:27 UTC
They were on it back in the eighties as Uni JES. Think it's badge 464.
Summa cum JES-"get it up once, keep it up forever". Bob Shannon reported the
politics and ambitions were too orthogonal and was dropped early nineties.

Edward Gould
2017-08-30 05:33:50 UTC
Post by Edward Finnell
They were on it back in the eighties as Uni JES. Think it's badge 464.
Summa cum JES-"get it up once, keep it up forever". Bob Shannon reported the
politics and ambitions were too orthogonal and was dropped early nineties.
Edward:

Way back in the 70’s or early 80’s I was ahead of the TSO project (don’t remember now if it was Share or Guide). Anyway one members was a really big JES3 person. He wanted all sort of things that the rest of the members did not want we spent countless hours arguing about JES3 this and that. If I remember correctly he was with Standard Oil. The IBMers were getting mad as he was monopolizing the conversation and trying to get JES3 code into TSO commands etc etc. They threatened to leave and finally I asked the guy to leave as he was disrupting the group. He disappeared and never showed up again. We actually did a white paper on TSO and IBM just wasn’t interested, I think it was because of the JES3 person, but I never could get a word out of them.

Ed