IBM TS7720 Secure Data Erase
Add Reply
Tom Sims
2017-08-11 18:29:50 UTC
One of my clients is retiring an old TS7720 and wants to guarantee the
residual data is completely erased before it leaves the premises.

Can someone out there tell me if the "Secure Data Erase" feature works
with internal hard drives as the physical media, as well as with take
cartridges?

Thanks in advance,

Tom Sims

(Speaking only for myself...).

Roach, Dennis
2017-08-11 18:51:31 UTC
Check with your vendor or CE. Most vendors have the ability for the CE to do a secure erase that meets most requirements.
I had to excess a virtual tape system that did not support the erase. We wound up pulling the drives and send them to be shredded.

Dennis Roach, CISSP
AIG

Identity & Access Management | Technology Services

2929 Allen Parkway, America Building, 3rd Floor | Houston, TX 77019
Phone: 713-831-8799

***@AIG.com | www.aig.com

Rob Schramm

Toni Cecil
2017-08-26 17:49:50 UTC
Hi Tom,
I guess you need:

FC 4017 Cluster Cleanup can be run. FC 4017 is required if the removed
cluster is going to be reused. A Cluster Cleanup removes the previous data
from cache and
returns the cluster to a usable state, similar to a new TS7700 from
manufacturing, keeping the
existing feature codes in place. Both feature codes are one-time use
features.

In terms of cache, you can only delete lvols with Purge from the z/OS side,
scratch on RMM (or on other tape mgmt), scratch on TCDB and if the library
on ISMF has eject=PURGE than execute the ejects cmds.

HTH, A.Cecilio